

Clackamas County-Developmental Disabilities Council Meeting Agenda

1/22/2024

Meeting Time: 04:30 pm – 06:00 pm

Meeting Location: Zoom, <https://clackamas-us-countyhealth.zoom.us/j/83900405431> and
Development Services Building, 150 Beaver Creek Rd. Room 118, Oregon City

Attendees:

FACILITATOR	John Merrick		
NOTE TAKER	Malika Renard		
	vacant	P	Colleen Johnston (indiv/family), term ends 5/1/24
P	John Merrick (advocate), term ends 6/30/26	A	Kalkidan (Mimi) Ezra (provider), term ends 1/1/25
A	Jacob Tolbert (provider), term ends 6/30/26	P	Kim Cota (CDDP employee)
	Shasta Kearns Moore (indiv/family), term ends 12/1/24	A	Brooke Gelfand (CDDP employee)
	Lisa Ledson (indiv/family member), term ends 12/1/24	A	Stacie Mullins (CDDP employee)
P	Sara Lambert (provider), term ends 1/1/24	P	Amy Butler (CDDP employee)
	Sara Szwarc (indiv/family), term ends 5/1/24	P	Roxanne Cloutier (CDDP employee)
		A	Malika Renard (CDDP employee)

	Key
P	Present
A	Absent
G	Guest

Time	Agenda	Minutes
4:30 – 4:50 pm	***Reminder-council meeting will start recording***	

Call to order, establish quorum (4 members present), approval of meeting minutes from 10/23/23

Vote on re-election of members with term ending (Sara L, Sara S, Colleen J)

Amy: We apologize for the delay in getting the Council meeting minutes from October to you and will get those to you as soon as we can. I believe we also already re-elected Sara Lambert, so we don't need to do that. Let me make sure we have quorum. (Counts 6 attendees, quorum established)

John: Hello all, I hope everyone had a good two months off. No need to approve minutes, as we do not have them yet, so let's talk about a program update.

Kim: Are we voting on members first?

Amy: Sara S and Colleen are up for renewal in May, so we can either do this today or wait, up to you.

John: I motion we vote.

Sara S: Seconded.

John: Any conversation on that right now? I hear none. I'll move to vote for Colleen and Sara S remaining on the council, do we have a second?

[Undetermined member]: Seconded.

John: All for Colleen remaining in her role say Ay.

Any Nays? None. Any conversation for Sara S.

continuing on the council? I hear none. Would anyone like to motion for a vote for Sara S.?

[Undetermined member]: I motion.

Colleen: Seconded.

John: All for Sara S remaining in her role say Ay.

Any Nos, raise your hand? I hear and see no Nos.

Thank you all for your services as we continue this work for Clackamas County DD Services.

Sara S.: Thank you.

Amy: We will need to reopen for recruitment. We do have email addresses entered into our Health Record System now, so we will now be able to communicate directly with individuals, families about the opportunity of joining the council. If you know of anyone who might be interested, please send them my way.

Sara S.: Would a provider who hires DSPs be eligible?

Amy: We would have room for one provider when we re-open that would fill Jacob's departure.

John: Are there any county laws surrounding conflict of interests for joining this council?

Kim: The applicant(s) would just need to clarify which role they are applying for on their application, as a provider or as a family member.

John: Ok.

Kim: There is no conflict of interest beyond the spaces available for DD Paid service Providers on this council.

John: Sara, does that answer your question?

Sara S.: Yes, thank you.

Amy: I believe the bylaws say there are 2-3 spots for providers. A minimum of 7 members and a max of 18. A minimum of family members or persons with I/DD or 50%, whichever is greater. Two providers, max of 3 and 1 advocate. We have room for one more provider.

John: I want to note I would love for other positions to be approved by the council in terms of tax attorneys or others who provide help to those with disabilities.

		<p>Kim: If someone from Voc Rehab wanted to be on the council, they would be a community member and would need to live in Clackamas County, but they would be representing Voc Rehab for example.</p> <p>John: Any other questions about reopening this within the council? I hear none. We can move to Program update.</p> <p>[End of Topic Discussion]</p>
<p>4:50 – 5:05 pm</p>	<p>Program Update-Kim</p>	<p>Kim: So for Program updates, as of January 1, we implemented the process of onboarding service coordinators. So we now have two service coordinators designated to support individuals and their families coming straight out of eligibility into services before being transferred to a Service Coordinator. This was done to address timelines and workloads. Our hope is that the experience will improve for individuals before they become eligible and to support with understanding the Medicaid approval process and getting into services timely. We will be tracking numbers and will be able to determine if two such positions are enough or if more are needed according to budget. We are optimistic.</p> <p>[Undetermined member]: Where does the parental income disregard fit in to the eligibility process?</p> <p>Kim: That piece is part of the Medicaid approval process and is not something we do. Medicaid will ask about income, yes. If there is a denial based on income, then they have the option of the PMDDT process.</p> <p>[Undetermined Member 2]: How many people will they be interacting with?</p>

Kim: They would be interacting with the eligibility team and possibly a psychologist before being passed to an onboarding service coordinator, followed by an ongoing service coordinator.

[Undetermined member 2]: Based on my own experience, this can be a lot of different people to add to the mix, although I understand the motivation behind it. Could there be a dashboard or something at the front end to inform people about how the process will go and where they are at in the process? I need Clackamas County to see that we have to speak to many more people beyond just Clackamas County employees to gain access to services, and it is very exhausting to tell our stories again and again.

Kim: We did take this into consideration and I respect that. Our goal remains firstly to give people access to timely services. Thank you.

John: Is there any follow up from the onboarding coordinator with the client later on?

Kim: No, as the client will be assigned to a Service Coordinator, who will be their ongoing coordinator and will be giving them any information they need. The onboarding coordinator is not out in the field recruiting clients, but rather is the first interaction after eligibility about welcoming them into DD services.

John: Thank you for the clarification. Roxanne, you have your hand up?

Roxanne: Just wanted to acknowledge what was said regarding the experience of having to interact with many different people when trying to access services and how confusing that can be. The long

		<p>term relationship ends up forming with the ongoing services coordinator.</p> <p>[Undetermined member 1]: So the solution might be to communicate this with a clear diagram that says how this will go to reduce the frustration and frontload people's expectations.</p> <p>John: The DD community already has a hard time speaking or explaining things on their own behalf.</p> <p>[Undetermined member 2]: I will echo that. As a parent, I didn't even know which questions to ask.</p> <p>John: On the advocacy side, it would be great to see examples, demos etc. to be able to give feedback as a council. Any other program updates?</p> <p>Kim: No, if we need to move on, that's ok.</p> <p>John: Emergency is going ok?</p> <p>Kim: Well, emergencies will always have bumps but, this last round was much more organized as far as response. We were able to get information out of our system and were able to reach out in a more targeted way.</p> <p>John: Thanks for the update Kim.</p> <p>[End of topic discussion]</p>
<p>5:05-5:20pm</p>	<p>ARPA updates-Amy</p> <p>DD Info Fair-Amy</p>	<p>John: So now we move on to the ARPA/DD Info Fair portion of the conversation.</p> <p>Amy: So I can do an update on the ARPA grant. We are applying for the emergency grant which will be really great. There will be opportunities to get some supply kits to people and an opportunity to provide not whole house, but portable generators to those who have life-sustaining equipment. Right now, we are in the process of applying for the</p>

funds and how to determine who needs what within our services and how to get it to them in an equitable way in the timeframe we have. I think this will help a lot of people, so we may need to get some input from you later down the road with this logistical information.

[Undetermined member 2]: Any definition on life-sustaining?

Amy: There is a definition and we have had conversations about that also, like if someone cannot maintain body temperature, or other. It is not super-well defined but verbiage is included in the grant. I think depending on the funding available, this can be accessible.

John: Communication on levels of consideration on this would be great. Any questions online before we move to the next point? No. Ok, on the emergency kits, I know you mentioned everyone can get one but what will be included?

Amy: We are very much in the planning phase of this and so a lot of it is still on the table, so we don't know yet if this is going to be a one size fits all or if we will have the capacity for a more tailored approach as we do have about 2000 people.

John: I guess what I'm saying is, how can we help you best with this?

Amy: If you have ideas, send them in!

Kim: Since we have a limited amount of money for this, we will be looking at where we can best put our resources. We may not be able to provide everything that everyone might want or need in an emergency. I don't want to oversell our capabilities with this grant, but we are thinking about how to do

the best we can with resources for different people in our services.

John: I appreciate the update.

[Undetermined member 1]: I would ask who exactly is making the decisions on what people will need?

John: Is there a strategic meeting within the county to determine this?

Kim: We don't have the grant yet, but when we do, this will be a good question.

[Undetermined member 1]: Are families and individuals going to be part of this conversation?

Kim: That is something we are working on.

John: When can we revisit this with you without feeling like we're pressuring?

Kim: Amy and I can follow up this week and talk about this. As of right now, I don't have the specifics.

Amy: We're still early in the application process. I would like to invite Georgeta back for next time, she is the one specifically coordinating our ARPA grants and would be more knowledgeable.

John: Does that sound good with everyone online?

Amy: And I wanted to give a quick Provider Engagement project update. We are sorting through data and will soon be forming the steering committee. For the Self-Advocacy grant, I did send out an email, we will not be pursuing that right now as we don't have the capacity to manage that. We would like to support an advocacy group in the future and don't feel that we necessarily need funding to do that. Does anyone have any questions surrounding ARPA grants?

		<p>John: We can discuss the self-advocacy at another time.</p> <p>Amy: The last update I have is that Clackamas County will be having its first Developmental Disabilities Information Fair. We are looking at late spring/early summer. There is a planning committee that is getting together this Wednesday. If any of you are interested in getting on that committee, I can send out an email invite to that meeting. We have a location. As this is our first one, it's going to be messy! If you are expecting beautiful and perfect, it won't be that but it will be pretty good! We're very excited about this as Clackamas County hasn't done this yet. Please let me know if you are interested.</p> <p>All: Yes, please.</p> <p>Amy: Either myself or a committee member can also give updates for the council as we move along.</p> <p>John: Any outside or third party community partner opportunities and updates for our DD community would be greatly appreciated here also. Thank you for that information and your work on this.</p> <p>[End of topic discussion]</p>
<p>5:20-5:45 pm</p>	<p>Advisory Council Meetings recalibration (dates/times)-John</p>	<p>John: We are now in the recalibration portion of the schedule.</p> <p>Amy: I have your name here for this John. On my side, I want to verify meeting times/months and if this time is still okay for people?</p> <p>All: Yes.</p> <p>John: I will add that in the future we may again need an emergency meeting in December, if availability allows to account for policy season, etc.</p>

North Clackamas Parks and Recreation-John

I think we're doing fine with the times and two-month breaks. When is the next two-month break?

Amy: Since we're now doing hybrid meetings, I want to get the room situated for the rest of the year.

John: And how is sound quality for everyone, I want to make sure everyone can be heard.

All: It's fine.

John: Alright, any questions on recalibration or times for the rest of the year? Every month with two months off twice.

Amy: We meet in March.

Colleen: This year we took July/August off, then November/December.

Amy: I will send out what the dates would be and then we can come back in February and discuss. I'll go ahead and schedule it, as we voted on it, and then if we need to discuss next month we can.

John: I'm ok with the vote we had last month on my side.

Amy: I know not everyone can make every meeting but we will do our best.

John: Ok, I don't see any more conversation on recalibration. It would be nice to know what could make things easier for your department, if we can do anything. I see Sara is here.

Sara L: I am.

John: I believe Sara you and I had an in-person discussion about NC PR so I put that into the schedule for this time. I have my own questions and would like my own guest to come, but I want to hear your thoughts, Sara.

Sara L: Well, I am not sure but I would love to hear from somebody about NCPR about getting some programs in place for our disabled community members and to bridge that gap. I have some ideas, and I know others do too, so I would love to get them here in a meeting and brainstorm.

John: I would second that on my end. Any other input from council members?

[Undetermined member 1]: Hillsboro PR has some amazing programs, like a sensory movie night, bingo night, so I would love to hear from the community.

John: We could invite Johnny or others. I just want to make sure we make space and programs or opportunities for adults and corresponding IQ levels as well as the youth, since typically, adults won't be with fifteen-year-olds for most activities. Advertising some opportunities as for youth can be misleading for everyone as to who could or should be included.

Kim: Is the council asking us to find someone to come from NCPR or is there someone who wants to bring a guest?

John: I would like to see the manager and someone like Johnny, in particular. Stacie had mentioned we've never had a conversation with NCPR in 20 years.

Kim: The county has no problem with having someone from PR come. I just wanted to be sure of what you were asking. So an action step for the county is to connect with NCPR for a potential guest. Do the members have people in mind also?

John: Well I've discussed with you my two suggestions. Does anyone else have ideas?

Sara L: Well as much as I don't want to overload Clackamas County with more to do, it may have more weight if someone besides me calls PR to attend.

Kim: I don't have a problem at all with us doing that, that's totally fine. I didn't want to duplicate efforts or diminish someone's desire to make the contact.

Sara S: I'm also happy to reach out to people, I love to do that. Also, I didn't know if you were aware of the Mardi Gras dance for West Linn PR which is advertised as taking into consideration specifically teens and young adults with developmental disabilities.

John: It's nice to see that categorization!

Sara S: Well I'm more involved in West Linn PR since I live in West Linn, but would be happy to invite Nicole Boudin, who use to run a horseback riding training program in West Linn, called Happy Trails. That is now closed, but she is now activities director for the adult community center, which is more of a senior center in West Linn. It sounds like they're expanding their client base to include younger people.

John: Yes, and I think Lisa also had some ideas.

[Undetermined member 2]: There is someone higher up at the Aquatics center that could contact also. Sara, I live in West Linn too, did you know we're going to have a community center with a pool built soon, so it may be interesting to have

		<p>someone from that project come to hear how they plan to include people with disabilities.</p> <p>Sara S: I haven't heard about that, do you know what the timeline is?</p> <p>[Undetermined member 2]: I'm sure it's not urgent.</p> <p>Sara S: Yeah, but just to get in early would be good.</p> <p>John: As an advocate, as a future topic of discussion, I may know someone who could come and talk with us about the toll bridges and how those may affect our community as well, but I don't know if we should or could bring someone in from ODOT regarding social inclusion.</p> <p>[Undetermined member 2]: There's Jules Walter who is a rep in West Linn.</p> <p>We could also include West Linn and Oregon City mayors. That could come in later conversations to push for social inclusion. Sara Lambert, I wanted to put on record that I thank you for bringing this forward.</p> <p>Amy: Wanted to confirm the county will look for someone, preferably the manager of NCPR to come to a meeting. We will follow up on that. Also, following up, I did find our meetings, we voted last April that we would not meet in July, August, November and December. We will meet the other months.</p> <p>[End of Topic Discussion]</p>
<p>5:45 – 6:00 pm</p>	<p>Open floor (Council) Public comment (Public)</p>	<p>John: Sara Lambert?</p> <p>Sara L: I did have a couple things I wanted to mention on the provider side of things if I could? There's an important survey called the Rate &</p>

		<p>Wage Study coming out soon on January 29th and hoped we could get the word out to Providers. It's very important that they participate in it. In case any providers are listening to this. I know some ODDS transmittals come out that people don't understand are DD-specific so any county ideas on how we can bring awareness would be great.</p> <p>Kim: We can send it out in our Provider newsletter that Chrystie does.</p> <p>John: Is there a way that the emails sent to us could be categorized so we could sort them or flag them appropriately instead of maybe forgetting about them?</p> <p>Kim: I don't know.</p> <p>John: That may not be important now but could be in the future. Ok, shall we adjourn?</p> <p>All: Ay.</p> <p>Kim: Thank you everyone!</p>
Next Meeting	February 26th, 2024, 04:30pm-06:00pm	